It is beginning to look a lot like a Claire Lewis Christmas….
This year I am getting married on New Years Eve, so I started the ball rolling in my family to cut out the stressful gift buying for lots and lots of people, sticking to a budget and buying just for the kids! I used to get in a flap about gift buying and I noticed so many of those I bought for used to not use the gift anyway – so a pointless exercise both financially and environmentally. I would prefer to cook them a nice meal or spend some time with them or even a give them a big hug 🙂
In the process I have suggested the following ideas to focus on what Christmas is ‘really’ about: Spending quality time with friends and family sharing good times and good food and savouring the buzz and excitement in the air.
- I have picked out a charity and have put a pot labelled Christmas Charity Fund in aid of –The Simon Community, a charity for the homeless. Any funds collected here will be donated to this charity. It may be a small seemingly insignificant amount but every penny helps a charity.
- I have also suggested a family day out either a trip to the woods bringing mince pies and a flask of mulled wine for the adults and some hot chocolate for the kids. You can also do the most amazing festive treasure hunt – kids will remember this day out better than any amount of gifts they receive as time and excitement is so much more memorable than material items.
- For gifts at Christmas why not suggest each person writes up a Wish List containing a wide variety of items the person needs rather than a gift they don’t need and will never use.
- Home made Cards are a favourite in my home and they mean so much more as thought and effort is given in abundance. Here is a great blog I found to give you some inspiration.
- Making gifts such as sweet or savoury favourites is a great idea and Nigella Lawson is always hot at Christmas!
- Giving the gift of BOOKS goes further than just the festive season. For young and old books can bring people away to another place and lift their spirits. Books for kids are a must at Christmas they really are a wonderful gift – your local book store is not just a place stacked full of books but the smell and atmosphere is something special.
- A log fire, a wool blanket and Christmas music
- A walk in the city soaking up the atmosphere
- The simple pleasure of wishing someone the gift of a VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND A WONDERFUL NEW YEAR, my wishes for you all!